Monday, October 20, 2008

I'm Baaaacccckkk!

Did you miss me, again? It wasn't my "fault" this time for not posting for so long. I have been without internet for about three weeks now. I really missed my web during that time. It is amazing how we get so used to something that is not a necessity of life, but seems like it is when it's not around. How many times did I think, "I'll google that," but I couldn't. I survived though and I wanted to send out a post letting you know that when I said that "I would do better about posting," I meant it.

It all began when our phone company decided to turn off our long distance. We had unlimited long distance, but they said we could not use it for our dial-up internet. Well, we didn't think we were dialing a long distance number for our internet. They said it was a "local" long distant number. HUH?! You see, Ethan loves to download games on the internet, but with dial-up, it takes forever. So we were connected for long segments of time and it must have flagged our account with the phone company, because all of a sudden, we couldn't dial-up anymore. What other options do we have for dial-up? None. There is no "local" number to call and we are not about to pay long distance charges to google something. So, we went back to our satellite service.

In some ways that is nice, but our satellite provider has the worst customer service, ever! Dom was on the phone with them practically every day for a week or two, before they finally reactivated our account and sent someone out to re-point our dish (it must have moved in the year it was turned off). The guy who came out to our house to reconnect us, was at our house for about four hours. He left and said we were up and running. Great, but when I went to the computer to check my email, it wasn't working. Not great! So back on the phone Dom went to talk to someone who could "help" us. Hah! Nothing they had Dom do was working and they said they would have to send a technician out again. Well, we knew how long that would take, forever. In the meantime, Dom kept fiddling with things trying to figure out why it was working, only to stop. My Knight in Shining Armour came to my rescue yesterday, and got me reconnected with my 915 emails. Isn't he smart? Yes, he is. He figured it out, and when I asked him how he did it, he said, "I can't explain it to you." And that is fine with me, as long as I have my internet. It had something to do with polarity? Enough said. So, you mothers out there, if you have children who want to take things apart to see how they work, let them. That is what Dom did as a kid, and it paid off, he can fix things, a great asset.

Stay tuned for "catch-up" posts.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to know you have a 'fiddler' too! Also glad to have you baaaccckkkk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're back...I love to read what ya'll are up to with your country life! I'd love to hear about what you're doing to re-organize your homeschool and what you use as your curriculum (do you have one?). Maybe you could post about that! (hint hint):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We missed you. This explains why you didn't comment on my blog.;)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!

Please leave me a comment!

Video of Quinn