Not long after all that excitement, Quinn gets all excited again and runs out to the front porch. We now had another hummingbird trapped there.
Yes, we still have Christmas lights up. I'm not sure why, but Dom will take down all the lights from outside and store them until next Christmas, but has left the ones that border along our front porch, up. They have been there for about two years now. I guess we are not trying to impress the "Jone's" anymore since moving to the woods.
Of course, Quinn grabbed the first empty ice cream bucket he could get his hands on, and caught the little bird. I reminded him about what happened last time he caught and kept a hummingbird (see Joy of Living in the Woods) and Dom has told him, by the end of today, he will be letting the bird go.
Then to add even more excitement to the day (how can we contain our ourselves?) Alex tells me that he found the nest to my favorite laying hen. Since adding the chicken run to our coop, we have some chickens that fly the coop. Sometimes they go back in the coop on their own, some we catch and put back in, and some stay out most or all of the time. One of my best laying hens has decided to stay out. I knew she had to be laying eggs somewhere, but we hadn't found where yet. Until today. And not only did we find the eggs, but she has decided to brood.Here she is on her eggs inside the barn. Maybe we will have some baby chicks running around here soon. I'm glad God has provided my science for this homeschooling year! For a little while, anyway.
Hmmm...what does 'decided to brood' mean? That is a new one on me.
ReplyDeleteLove the turkeys. We have a bunch around here lately. I got some pictures the other day but haven't posted them. I'm trying soooo hard to keep up with my bloggy friends who get these great pictures of wildlife!
Maybe I should have taken pictures of the ants on my bed before their demise...
www.thefreedictionary.com
ReplyDeleteSays:
brood - sit on (eggs); "Birds brood"; "The female covers the eggs"
= baby chicks!!!
I have one child who would love all the birds at your house! That is so cool.
ReplyDelete