Saturday, August 16, 2008

Fun With Dough

Monday, we had friends over to our house from the Monticello Moms group, that I have been a part of for a couple of years now. It is just a group of moms that get together so our kids can play and we can enjoy each other's company. I am hosting for this month of August. On Aug. 11th, I invited them over for "Fun With Dough." And it was fun, but also very messy.

We started off with dough to make Bubble Bread. Yum!! You pinch of a small piece of dough, roll it into a ball, dip that into melted butter, then dip it again into a mixture of cinnamon and sugar, (1 Cup brown sugar & 2 T. cinnamon), toss that into a bundt pan, and repeat. Once all your dough has become cinnamon/sugar balls, let dough rise for 30 minutes, than bake for another 30 minutes in 350* oven. Oh, this is so good right out of the oven, and is worth the wait. It disappeared very fast with so many little mouths to feed.

While the Bubble Bread was rising, we made play dough. Play dough is fun for the kids, but, oh so, messy for the moms. I should have taken a picture of the mess after everyone left. And the moms did help clean up before they left, but Anna kept playing and then Quinn and Ethan joined her. There was play dough everywhere in my kitchen, where I was trying to keep it contained.

I looked around at the mess after everyone left, and thought, "why did I bother to clean my house before everyone came?" But once I started to clean it up, it wasn't nearly as bad as I had originally thought. I was able to tidy up fairly quickly with help from Alex and Quinn.

I have a few friends who think my house is always immaculate. Hah! With four kids, is that even possible? I spent two days before anyone came over trying to get my house CLEAN. Yes, maybe by some standards it was already clean to some people, but I am a perfectionist and I want my house perfect. Which is really impossible to keep that way with kids in the house. I'm trying to find a balance to that, keep house simi-clean to my standards, but not so clean that I drive myself and my children insane trying to keep it that way.

Overall we had a fun day and I am happy to have had a messy house afterwards as proof of that fun. It was worth it. August 25th, everyone is invited back to my house for "Fun With Water." Don't you love how I've titled them as some great event? We are going to have swimming, sprinklers, and snowcones. I guess I could have titled it SSS. Stay tuned for pictures from that in the days to come.

1 comment:

  1. Awww...I miss having a "little" or as my Australian friend says "smallies". Can I come just to hang out with you guys? Sounds like sooooooo much fun!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!

Please leave me a comment!

Video of Quinn